About this Opportunity!
(Part Time, Non-Exempt)
$20.00 - $27.50 per hour
Under direct supervision of the Facility Fitness Coordinator, this
position is responsible for designing, implementing and leading safe,
effective and enjoyable group fitness classes to recreation center
participants of various fitness levels.
- Responsible for ensuring program goals are meet through planning,
choreographing, and conducting specific class/program activities
which match class descriptions, meet SSPRD and industry standards
and are conducted within scheduled times. Group fitness classes must
be appropriate to the subject area, participant’s ages, and skill
and ability level.
- Demonstrate and assist with proper techniques, form, and use of
cardiovascular and strength equipment through demonstration and
- Recognize emergency and dangerous situations by reacting quickly
and calmly, administer first aid as needed. Complete
- Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provide
information within the area of assignment; resolve complaints in an
efficient and timely manner.
- Correct or inform supervisor of any facility hazards, communicate
issues/complaints to supervisor as needed.
- Communicate and respond to messages from the Recreation Center
staff in a timely manner; including the use of GroupExPro.com.
- Attend ALL staff meetings, trainings, and orientations.
- Attend work on a regular, reliable and punctual basis; subs for
co-workers when available; is responsible for securing substitutes
for shifts unable to work.
- Prepare site for activity, ensures proper clean up at end of each
class/program, and perform safety checks on equipment.
- Establish and enforces class/program rules and policies for patrons.
- Ensure participant safety by observing throughout the course and
modifying intensity levels and individual execution of techniques accordingly.
- Complete required cleaning shifts during annual maintenance week.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these
requirements are the exclusive duties of the position. Incumbents
may be required to follow any other instructions, and to perform any
other related duties, as may be required.
Education and/or Experience:
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Graduation from high school or completion of GED.
- Prior experience in instruction of specific specialty is preferred.
Licenses, Certifications, and Other Requirements:
- Current Group Fitness Certification from an accepted national
certifying organization and must be maintained through Continuing
Education Credits (CEC’s) as required.
- Possession of current certifications in CPR/AED required.
- First Aid certification preferred.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Maintain an understanding and knowledge of exercise science,
nutrition and wellness to promote fitness and educate participants;
within the scope of your certification and training.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively verbally;
establish and maintain working relationships with employees and the public.
- Knowledge of modern office procedures, methods and general office
equipment (computer, copier, fax, etc.).
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of fitness programming.
- Provide superior customer service and resolve customer complaints
and escalated problems.
Material and Equipment Used
Operates a variety of fitness equipment, including, but not limited
to cardiovascular machines, selectorized weight machines, free weight
equipment, functional training equipment and various group fitness
equipment. Operate sound system and microphones. Use time keeping
system and Groupexpro.com online fitness portal.
95% of the work is performed indoors working in a fitness-training
environment with frequent interruptions and distractions. Must be able
to work in an environment with various temperatures, poor acoustics
and an array of distractions, i.e. music, weather conditions, etc. In
performance of job duties outdoors may be exposed to: various
terrains, extreme cold, heat, sun, wet, humid, or windy conditions.
Regular exposure to grasses, fertilizers, molds, dust and pesticides.
Must be able to demonstrate and perform the exercises unique to Group
Exercise Fitness. Must have the ability to bend, walk, kneel, stoop,
and reach, in performance of duties. Must be able to push, pull or
balance. Must be able to remain standing for an extended period up to
a maximum of four hours. May occasionally require unassisted lifting
of up to 50 pounds and assisted lifting up to 100 pounds. Vision
requirements include near acuity, far acuity, and depth perception.
Must have the ability to talk and hear via the telephone and through
This list is not all-inclusive and represents examples of the work
environment and physical demands.
Employee Benefits & Perks at
- FREE use of District fitness centers and swimming pools
- Discounts on recreation classes and golf (applicable to employees
working 14+ hours/week)
- Paid sick leave
- Opportunities for training and promotion from within
- Flexible schedules
- To view a complete listing of the District’s most current benefit
package, please visit http://careers.ssprd.org
Our mission is to foster healthy living through stewardship of the
environment, parks, trails, and open space by providing recreational
services and programs.
We serve residents in Bow Mar, Columbine Valley, Centennial west of
I-25, Littleton, Lone Tree and Sheridan and unincorporated portions of
Douglas, Jefferson and Arapahoe counties. We operate four full-service
recreation centers, golf courses, outdoor pools and restaurants, two
ice centers and miniature golf courses, and a BMX track, a sports
dome, batting cages, an entertainment center, a hotel and a nature
center. In addition, we maintain nearly 3,800 acres of developed and
open space land, including 119 multi-purpose athletic fields, more
than 100 parks, nearly 80 miles of trails, 60 playgrounds, 56 tennis
courts, and the 880-acre South Platte Park.