About this Opportunity!
(Full Time, Exempt)
Salary: $62,000 - $84,000 per year
South Suburban Parks and Recreation District is a community-driven
organization that provides both indoor and outdoor recreation
amenities to six communities and three counties in the southern
metropolitan area of Denver, Colorado. Our Planning Department is
seeking a Park Planner interested in all aspects of planning, who
seeks to innovate, lead, and coordinate planning efforts. The Planning
Department is a dynamic workplace responsible for design and planning,
preparing construction documents, writing specifications, presenting
at public and Board meetings, and overseeing construction and
entitlement of specific capital improvements to parks, trails, open
spaces, and recreation facilities.
- Performs conceptual and master planning park development
entitlement process, park design, planting plans, pavement design,
detailed construction drawings, cost estimating, and specification
writing for capital projects.
- Prepares and issues bid documents for capital projects or project
elements. Coordinates, reviews and negotiates bids and makes
recommendations for value engineering and awarding contracts.
- Acts as project manager for the design and construction of park,
trail, and open space capital improvement projects.
- Prepares appropriate paperwork and reports to complete project
tasks, including budget management and financial reports related to
capital improvement projects.
- Produces computer graphics varying from conceptual sketches to
technical construction drawings and details, including 3-D graphic
perspectives as necessary to convey design ideas.
- Attends public meetings as necessary to review and present plans
to citizen groups, developers, governmental agencies, city councils,
planning commissions, District staff and District Board of Directors.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these
requirements are the exclusive duties of the position. Incumbents
may be required to follow any other instructions, and to perform any
other related duties, as may be required.
Education and/or Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor's Degree in
landscape architecture or a closely related field.
- Minimum of four (4) years of professional landscape design,
planning or other closely related experience.
- A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of park planning terminology, construction procedures;
park development processes and procedures, recreational planning
principles; methods and techniques of land use and environmental and
- Proficient skills in AutoCAD, Photoshop and InDesign.
Employee Benefits & Perks at South Suburban
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental and Vision package
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Retirement packages with employer contribution/match
- Free Employee Assistance Program
- Paid time off including vacation time, sick leave, personal leave
- District paid life insurance and long term disability
- FREE use of District fitness centers and swimming pools
- Discounts on recreation classes and golf
- Opportunities for training and promotion from within
- To view a complete listing of the District’s most current benefit
package, please visit
Our mission is to foster healthy living through stewardship of the
environment, parks, trails, and open space by providing recreational
services and programs.
We serve residents in Bow Mar, Columbine Valley, Centennial west of
I-25, Littleton, Lone Tree and Sheridan and unincorporated portions of
Douglas, Jefferson and Arapahoe counties. We operate four full-service
recreation centers, golf courses, outdoor pools and restaurants, two
ice centers and miniature golf courses, and a BMX track, a sports
dome, batting cages, an entertainment center, a hotel and a nature
center. In addition, we maintain nearly 3,800 acres of developed and
open space land, including 119 multi-purpose athletic fields, more
than 100 parks, nearly 80 miles of trails, 60 playgrounds, 56 tennis
courts, and the 880-acre South Platte Park.