About this Opportunity!
Facility Maintenance Specialist - Ice
Location: Centennial - Family Sports Center
(Full Time, Non-Exempt)
Salary: $35,600 - $41,670 per year
Under the supervision of the Facility Maintenance Supervisor - Ice
Arena, this position is responsible for upkeep and maintenance of ice
rink surfaces and surrounding facilities (player benches, locker
rooms, Zamboni garages, walkways, glass, boards, etc.) while keeping
events on time according to the ice events schedule. This position
will also have opening and/or closing responsibilities.
- Maintain Ice resurfacing machines including; appearance, changing
blades, greasing parts, battery upkeep, and changing oil (edger).
- May provide direction to part-time staff, contractor and/or
volunteers as assigned.
- Responsible for ice maintenance including; resurfacing, edging,
flooding, filling holes, chipping ice along dasher boards and
maintaining proper ice thickness as required by usage.
- Ice arena upkeep including; taking out trash, cleaning locker
rooms and bathrooms, players benches, flooring and resurfacing garages.
- Responsible for cleaning-up and changing broken glass.
- Monitoring ice chiller system including; filling logs, adding oil
to compressors, adding brine when needed, testing brine solution
levels and evaluating ice plant.
- Ensures security of facility during all shifts—opening and closing.
- Keeping ice events on schedule.
- Maintaining and repairing hockey nets.
- Cleaning rink boards, glass and players benches as needed.
- Consistently demonstrates high ethical standards, good
communication, and a professional appearance.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, trainings, and orientations.
- Attend work on a regular, reliable and punctual basis.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these
requirements are the exclusive duties of the position. Incumbents
may be required to follow any other instructions, and to perform any
other related duties, as may be required.
Education and/or Experience:
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age with a high school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of six (6) months of experience in ice rinks or one (1)
year in maintenance.
- A combination of experience and education may be considered.
Licenses, Certifications, and Other Requirements:
- CPR, First Aid and AED certificates or the ability to obtain upon hire.
- Additional related certifications.
- A valid Colorado Driver License or the ability to obtain upon hire
and maintain an acceptable driving record preferred.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires through knowledge of the techniques and equipment
involved in the components of custodial maintenance, preventative
maintenance and the operations of an ice rink. Equipment includes
but not limited to the Zamboni machines, ice edger, ice compressors,
cooling towers and boiler units.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, some
evenings, and holidays as business operations demand.
- Must be highly motivated and take direction well with excellent
interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbally.
- Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced and
high volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service and get along with
coworkers, patrons, and supervisors and interact with employees and
vendors in a professional manner.
Material and Equipment Used
To successfully perform the required job duties, this position
regularly uses Zamboni, ice chipper, power washer, and edger. This
position may need to drive a personal vehicle to various District facilities.
The employee is exposed to wet, cold and slippery conditions. Will be
working in a cool environment; the temperature at the ice rink(s) will
vary from 40-55 degrees Fahrenheit.
Stand, walk, handle and operate objects and office equipment, reach
outward and above shoulder and carry, pull, push or lift up to 40 lbs.
The employee will occasionally climb, crawl, squat, kneel and lift up
to 50 lbs. May be required to carry, pull, push or lift 100 lbs. or
more with or without assistance. The employee must be able to see
close up and at a distance with vision acuity and the ability to
adjust focus allowing a broad field of vision. The employee must
communicate clearly and effectively, must understand and be understood.
This list is not all-inclusive and represents examples of the work
environment and physical demands.
Employee Benefits & Perks at
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental and Vision package
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Retirement packages with employer contribution/match
- Free Employee Assistance Program
- Paid time off including vacation time, sick leave, personal leave
- District paid life insurance and long term disability
- FREE use of District fitness centers and swimming pools
- Discounts on recreation classes and golf
- Opportunities for training and promotion from within
- To view a complete listing of the District’s most current benefit
package, please visit http://careers.ssprd.org
Our mission is to foster healthy living through stewardship of the
environment, parks, trails, and open space by providing recreational
services and programs.
We serve residents in Bow Mar, Columbine Valley, Centennial west of
I-25, Littleton, Lone Tree and Sheridan and unincorporated portions of
Douglas, Jefferson and Arapahoe counties. We operate four full-service
recreation centers, golf courses, outdoor pools and restaurants, two
ice centers and miniature golf courses, and a BMX track, a sports
dome, batting cages, an entertainment center, a hotel and a nature
center. In addition, we maintain nearly 3,800 acres of developed and
open space land, including 119 multi-purpose athletic fields, more
than 100 parks, nearly 80 miles of trails, 60 playgrounds, 56 tennis
courts, and the 880-acre South Platte Park.